Yum and SRPMs

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Mon Nov 28 05:43:39 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-11-27 at 19:49 -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:

> The short answer is that it violates the principle of "do one thing and do
> it well". Adding features like this clutters up yum's interface, not to
> mention the internal code. Having it separate is cleaner.
I disagree. If being properly implemented, a "get srpms" operation would
be a yum-library feature.

Whether to make such a functionality accessible to users as part of the
"yum"-application or as a separate tool is a matter of taste. The effort
of implementing both cases, would be almost identical.

However, refusing to implement such an (IMO) essential core-feature as
part of yum-libs and wanting to push it to external packages (IMO) is
not a wise decision.

Ralf