Yum and SRPMs

Ralf Ertzinger fedora at camperquake.de
Mon Nov 28 12:41:30 UTC 2005

On Mon, Nov 28, 2005 at 01:36:28PM +0100, Rudolf Kastl wrote:

> i am just curious... whats the point of "installing" source rpms?
> usually one just wants to fetch em and extract em into the userspace
> not systemspace.

That's installing in my book. I quite often find myself going though
the "find latest version, find suitable mirror, wget srpm, rpm -i" routine
when trying to track down a bug in a package.

This should definitely work from a non-root account, thus is another point
against integrating this in yum directly.