Yum and SRPMs

Rudolf Kastl che666 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 13:12:19 UTC 2005

2005/11/28, Ralf Ertzinger <fedora at camperquake.de>:
> On Mon, Nov 28, 2005 at 01:36:28PM +0100, Rudolf Kastl wrote:
>
> > i am just curious... whats the point of "installing" source rpms?
> > usually one just wants to fetch em and extract em into the userspace
> > not systemspace.
>
> That's installing in my book. I quite often find myself going though
> the "find latest version, find suitable mirror, wget srpm, rpm -i" routine
> when trying to track down a bug in a package.

well ok but i was always against the rpm -i bleh.src.rpm foo ;) in my
eyes it just doesent make sense at all to "install" src rpms. it makes
sense to extract em and ready em for build though. while its the same
in some sense its not in another ;).

you got exactly the same use case as me! *grins*! how come? ;)