fc5 goals

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 15:24:32 UTC 2005

On 11/29/05, Paul A Houle <ph18 at cornell.edu> wrote:
>     Hardly true.

While I think he overstates the current situation by extrapolating his
personal experience, at some point though the ubiquity of dvd drives
will be true. I think we can hold-off on this debate until dell stops
offering models without atleast dvd read support. Dell still offers
dvd-less models in its home and home office value lines. On its N
series "open source friendly" every option in the customize menu has
atleast dvd read support... so the tipping point might be closer than
either you or I would like.

At some point it will make sense to drop the cdrom images and produce
only the dvd image. Just like it made sense to drop the i486 kernel.
Once Dell makes dvd-read support compulsory for all its shipping
products its probably within 2 years (3~4 Core releases) after that
cdrom install images with be deprecated. I'll have to go out and buy a
$10 dvd burner at that point.

-jef