Modern Update System

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 15:41:17 UTC 2005

On 11/29/05, Paul A Houle <ph18 at cornell.edu> wrote:
> I totally understand why this would be a nightmare for the mirrors,  but
> the current status quo is a disaster in terms of user experience.

If you can't convince the mirrors its worth mirroring this additional
material.. its a non-starter. The argument you are making right now
has been repeatedly made and I don't think you are going to make any
head-way with theoretical cost-savings analysis.

The rate of rawhide churn makes an excellent test case for you to
gather statistics. Keep up a set of sequential patches for a couple of
weeks of updates to rawhide on a private server.. long enough to see
multiple updates for several bugfixes packages and see how much more
space it takes to keep rawhide diffed. Build a toy yum plugin client
to work with your collections and have users report back.  Then
compare against the approach Desbonnet has created which only requires
one delta to be available on the mirrors, instead of a chain.

-jef