What about smartpm?

Neal Becker ndbecker2 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 17:29:48 UTC 2005

Jesse Keating wrote:

> On Tue, 2005-11-29 at 11:34 -0500, Neal Becker wrote:
>>
>> Partially true - but yum is smart, and smart is smarter.
>>
>> For example, just this morning yum quit updating.  I don't recall the
>> details, but I had installed videolan-client from dries yum repos, and an
>> update of one of it's depends (from a different repo) broke it.
>>
>> yum was stymied.
>>
>> smart just offered to downgrade the depend, and happily fixed it.
>
> Sounds to me like user error.  Perhaps your yum config didn't know about
> the other repository.

I don't think so.  It's like this:

I want to install appA.  It has depB.

repoA and repoB both have depB.  repoA has appA.

Installing (via yum, smart, or whatever) picks up appA from repoA, and depB
from repoB.

Now, repoB updates depB.  No reason it shouldn't.

Now, IIUC, yum gives up on this situation.  It wants to update depB, but
appA needs the old version.

IIUC, not only does yum not update depB, but it _stops updating anything
completely_.  Your nightly yum upgrade stops until you notice the problem
and manually repair it.  (Correct me if I'm wrong here).