fc5 goals

Michael Favia michael.favia at insitesinc.com
Tue Nov 29 21:34:17 UTC 2005

Bill Nottingham wrote:

> Here's something I wrote briefly to explain how some of this *could*
> be done. Alas, no time to implement.

It is a shame because this is the direction i think this conversation
really needs to take. Getting "core" down to some arbitrary number of
CD's is unimportant imo.

I don't have any numbers so i can only go off of the people in #fedora
and those individuals i know but one of the bigger frustrations poeple
have is to install fedora from media only to have to update *most* of it
as soon as they are breathing internet air. I recognize the are
necessary/beneficial updates and i am not faulting them in the least.
Additionally, the modularization of many large components (X.org, OOo,
etc) is reducing the drag this effect has on the userbase. However, the
modularization of the installation media and the streamlining of the
application installation/management process would really content a lot
of users.

I feel the goal should be an attempt to split functionality up so that
you can have a working networkable computer with a modern desktop and
place whatever other tools on that cd as fit and stay in line with its
purpose. By providing the self contained "Basic Networked Desktop" on
one installation media and the rest on grouped application specific
media (java + development, office productivity, etc) you content both
big usecases i hear mentioned every time this discussion comes up.

The individual who doesnt have internet access readily available still
gets his media in just as usable form and possibly in fewer discs
depending on their needs. And the user with good internet connection can
get up and running with minimal predownloading and burning. If their
network card is supported and they can get the updated versions from the
repo's (core+extras even) directly out of anaconda even better imo.

Like i said though i don't know who this might hurt because i live in a
country where you cant walk three feet without a wifi starbucks or like
coffee shop hitting you in the face (hell even McDonalds now i hear). Is
there a reason something like BN's idea is a bad one?

-mf