fc5 goals

Bernardo Innocenti bernie at develer.com
Wed Nov 30 07:22:47 UTC 2005

Tom Lane wrote:

>> simple answer... they don't.
>
> Aye.  I've seen plenty of irreproducible failures reported by Gentoo
> users.  I don't mind working on a flaky database ... or compiler ...
> or operating system ... but please not all at once.

Hehe.  Those hardcore Gentooists frequently push their CFLAGS to
far and trigger obscure GCC bugs or break assumptions in complex
applications.  I'd say their hated (or laughable) bug reports
make a good service to all us because they help shaking latent
bugs in mainstream distributions too.

Actually, I've been in similar situations with Fedora (and
before that with RedHat) because I've always had the bad
habit of playing too much with betas just for the sake of
seeing what's coming up.

For some time, I even used to run CVS KDE on CVS Xorg built
with a CVS GCC on a reiser4 partition with a git kernel.
I were very surprised the days I could still open a
Konqueror window ;-)

When things go wrong with a distro such as Fedora, you can
always use the B-plan of removing your local installations
and get back to work, so it's nothing to be scared about.
Only, very time consuming as a hobby.

\X/  http://www.develer.com/