Pipe dreams: yum-based anaconda a step towards on-line yum-based upgrades?

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Wed Nov 30 21:05:37 UTC 2005

On Wed, Nov 30, 2005 at 03:57:14PM -0500, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On 11/30/05, Matthew Miller <mattdm at mattdm.org> wrote:
> > Excepting the specific special cases like LVM migration (which, y'know,
> > we're past already), is it significantly more risky than when yum does any
> > package updates?
> Are you saying that this project should officially state that people
> still running rhl or fc1 systems should NOT attempt an upgrade to
> fc5+? Is that what you are saying?

Not necessarily; while the bulk of the special-casing could be done in the
theoretical distroupgrade plugin, there could be certain cases where the
online upgrade plugin would bail and say "sorry, I can't help you; you'll
need the full installer".

Or, maybe there comes a point where drawing a line is reasonable. SGI does
that all the time, and look where that's gotten them.... :) :) :)