.la files deps

Rex Dieter rdieter at math.unl.edu
Fri Oct 7 12:34:00 UTC 2005

Jeff Pitman wrote:

> Would an effort to remove /usr/lib/*.la and see what builds okay, be
> something important to do for FC5?  Or not?

Absolutely.  For shared libraries, in most(90%?) cases, the
/usr/lib/lib*.la files packaged are superfluous.  The are also a sort of
cancer, that infects other .la files, causing library dependancy bloat
(ie, adding extra Requires to -devel packages that include the infected
.la files)

Here's a start of my efforts to help in this area:
SDL: http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/145974
rpm: http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/145978
subversion: http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzila/170029
   svn is tricky, it has lots of sublibraries
expat: http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/170031
db4: http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/170032
libjpeg: http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/170046
neon: http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/170049