Encouraging the use of multiple packaging systems on one systems, and the resulting problems (was: re: /usr/local)

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Fri Oct 21 17:15:21 UTC 2005

> On 10/21/05, Ralf Corsepius <rc040203 at freenet.de> wrote:
> > The FHS and the GNU-standards are fairly widely accepted standards in
> > the OSS, Linux and GNU world.
> The context was... packaging standards.... which i'm pretty sure isn't
> covered in the venerable standards you mention.
Both the FHS and GNU-standards give recipes from "choosing installation
directories" and what to install where.

To me, this makes at least 3/4's of packaging.
I guess you want to re-read the FHS
http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html

and the GNU-standards
http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/standards.html

> >As others already mentioned, the LSB's
> > importance is arguable/questionable - Fact is, its importance so far has
> > been almost negligible.
>
> I'm not going to argue its worth, but it is the only attempt at a
> standard that I am aware of that actually covers packaging..

Then we probably have a different notion on packaging. :)

Ralf