Manuel Moreno manolo at miconexion.com
Tue Oct 25 20:33:20 UTC 2005

Dave Jones wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 25, 2005 at 08:09:53PM +0100, Manuel Moreno wrote:
>  > Dave Jones wrote:
>  > >Mandriva, SuSE and Ubuntu also carry lots of other patches we don't
>  >
>  > I do not know right now about Mandriva and SuSe but I'm well sure that
>  > Ubuntu kernel carry far less patches than RH.
>  >
>  > >have in Fedora, so the analogy is pointless.
>  > So your comparison is unsound, untrue and misleading. :-)
>
> What comparison ?

The one of you saying that ubuntu kernel has more patches than fedora's

Fedora
-----------
$ cd /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/
$ rpm -Uvh ../SRPMS/kernel-2.6.13-1.1529_FC4.src.rpm
$ ls -l *.patch | wc -l
$ 101

Ubuntu
-------
linux-patch-debian-2.6.8.1_2.6.8.1-16_all.deb
16 patches

linux-patch-debian-2.6.8.1_2.6.8.1-16.24_all.deb
24 patches

16 + 24 = 40 patches

(BTW, I know that this measure is _NOT_ accurate!)

I can say that almost all Sonoma (Alviso) based notebook/laptops out
there have broken ACPI tables. The brokenness range from not detecting
batteries, not seeing interrupt lines (nonworking sound/wireless/etc.
devices) to even not activating fan or other cooling devices efectively
"frying" the shiny brand new laptop we got for our last bithday!

Are we really going to tell all those users that they can not run Fedora
on their laptops?

http://acpi.sourceforge.net is not an obscure crackish web site and the
dsdt disassembled code to fix is "_source code_" so I am not putting
some "unknown" binary into my kernel. IASL compiler/decompiler is
officially maintained/blessed by Intel.

Anyway IMHO is by far more simple for the average user to fix a few
lines of code in an ACPI dsdt disassembled code once and for ever than
to take the burden of recompiling from a modified src.rpm everytime a
new kernel shows up its ugly nose; and by far quicker than waiting for a
corrected firmware from the manufacturer. We (in EU) are entitled to
reverse engineering software associated with hardware devices to fix or
correct malfunctions and that is what the DSDT replacements go for.

The alternative is to make users to flee away from linux as the cat from
cold water :-)

--
Manuel Moreno
manolo at miconexion.com