Request for volunteers to help track down packages that use /usr/X11R6

Mike A. Harris mharris at redhat.com
Sun Sep 4 12:32:32 UTC 2005

Hans de Goede wrote:

> "(find /usr/X11R6 -type f | xargs rpm -qf) | sort | uniq" gives the
> following output on my system:
> fonts-xorg-75dpi-6.8.2-1
> fonts-xorg-base-6.8.2-1
> fonts-xorg-truetype-6.8.2-1
> multimedia-2.1-21
> openmotif-2.2.3-10
> playmidi-X11-2.4-16
> xinitrc-4.0.19-1
> xorg-x11-6.8.2-45
> xorg-x11-Mesa-libGL-6.8.2-45
> xorg-x11-Mesa-libGLU-6.8.2-45
> xorg-x11-deprecated-libs-6.8.2-45
> xorg-x11-devel-6.8.2-45
> xorg-x11-font-utils-6.8.2-45
> xorg-x11-libs-6.8.2-45
> xorg-x11-tools-6.8.2-45
> xorg-x11-xauth-6.8.2-45
> xorg-x11-xdm-6.8.2-45
> xorg-x11-xfs-6.8.2-45
> xscreensaver-base-4.22-10
> xterm-200-7
>
> IOW:
> multimedia
> openmotif
> playmidi
> xscreensaver-base
> xterm
>
> Are the only non xorg packages on my system which use /use/X11R6 and
> thus need fixing.

Thanks for the list hans.  I've added these to my local hit-list.

Another issue I just thought of, is "imake".  I wonder how many
things are going to now break since X no longer uses imake as its
build system.  imake is now avail as a separate tarball, and I'm
sure we'll likely be providing it for compatibility for apps that
use it to build with for a while, but AFAIK, there wont be X
configs like host.def et al. so apps that use imake that way will
likely break.

I guess that's an opportunity to drop apps from Core, or convince
people to autotool them?  ;o)