applying a patch

Pete Zaitcev zaitcev at redhat.com
Tue Sep 6 20:14:30 UTC 2005

On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 22:53:59 +0200, Rakotomandimby Mihamina <mihamina.rakotomandimby at etu.univ-orleans.fr> wrote:

> - copied the .patch file into /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES,
> - added a #1305 patch (just after #1304) into the spec file
> - applyied the #1305 (also just after #1304) into the specfile

> $ rpmbuild -bp --target=i686 kernel-2.6.spec
> [...]

So far so good, you did everything correctly, except that you do not
have to do it as root (use ~/.rpmmacros with %_topdir set).

> Patch #1305 (8139too-napi-revert.patch):
> + patch -p1 -s
> 8 out of 12 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file
> drivers/net/8139too.c.rej
> error: Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.34513 (%prep)

This means that the driver in whatever version of the kernel you were
using is sufficiently different from the 2.6.13-rc6. Since the Rawhide
kernels track the upstream tree quite closely, I expect that you
tried this on FC4 or something.

If so, rebase your efforts to Rawhide, or adjust the patch manually
to match whatever base you use.

-- Pete