Trying to install rawhide: madness and where do we hope to go ?

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Wed Sep 7 15:59:55 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-09-07 at 11:17 -0400, Daniel Veillard wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 07, 2005 at 11:03:01AM -0400, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> > On Wed, 2005-09-07 at 08:52 -0400, Daniel Veillard wrote:
> > >   In that case it's not a transcient failure, I think last time I tried to
> > > use anaconda of rawhide back in July I had the exact same error.
> >
> > The error you're seeing is a "tree composed badly and broke".  That's
> > unfortunately one that's dependent on the phase of the moon causing the
> > build machines to be uncooperative.  Hard to anticipate :)
>
>   So I was just unlucky on that too and the fact I get the same error
> does not mean it was the state of the package in the meantime ? If yes
> sorry about that I overgeneralized again.

Yeah, nothing to do with the package, just luck of the draw :)

>   Is detecting "tree composed badly and broke" possible ? And avoid
> pushing those ?

If we avoid pushing them, then no packages get pushed.  Most of the
people following rawhide are just following the package updates, so that
seems like a less than ideal thing to do.  And what if just one arch is
hosed (which is common).  Ignoring the detection issue, which is hard at
best.

Jeremy