FC4 state of affairs and FC5

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 18:32:57 UTC 2005

On 9/7/05, Tyler Larson <fedora-devel at tlarson.com> wrote:
> Is an updates repo considered self-consistent despite the fact that it depends
> on the base repo?

no... youd have to include a reference to "base" if your cd only
contained the updates.
In fact... anytime you do this.. you'll have to include a reference to
base in the yum config you use. Updates could very well pull in new
packages from base.. in some cases..when packaging dependancies are
cleaned up. But you'll see that when you try to run repoclosure
against just your collection of rpms.  You could try to get really
really fancy and try to figure out when this is happen and include
parts of base if needed so the cd could be used stand-alone without
additional network support...but that would take a bit more effort to
identify when this happens.

> Actually, I was thinking that, given the nature of such a CD, a better option
> might be to include a script on the CD that generates the correct config file
> and passes it to yum, perhaps pulling any additional settings from
> /etc/yum.conf (or perhaps not...). In such a case, it could autodetect the
> repo location, then prompt the user for confirmation.

whatever floats your boat.

-jef