FC4 state of affairs and FC5

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 19:46:40 UTC 2005

On 9/7/05, Gilboa Davara <gilboada at netvision.net.il> wrote:
> Second, a user that tried Fedora (and failed) or worse, a user that
> switched from Fedora to <insert another distribution name here> is a
> user that will never return to Fedora.
> Even much worse, a switching Windows XP user, that sees a kernel panic
> due to a DRI problem in anaconda is a user that will never try Linux
> again.
> We will never know how many Fedora users we have lost due to the iso
> boot problem (bug 159026) or the catastrophic "Linux killed my Windows
> boot problem" (bug 115980)

In the days of the floppy boot it was easier... the user could just
download an updated boot floppy when the provided kernel on the CD was
unable to boot...

There really are two discussions going on here, one is about installer
updates and one is about packing updated RPMs. They may have differing
solutions, for example, it would be possible to provide the complete
installer as an image for a USB memory stick, this would allow someone
who hit an installer bug to get a fixed installer. Many systems can
boot off of USB memory sticks... at least that would help some people.

The updated package issue I 'solve' here by rsyncing the yum cache off
an existing up to date fedora box before doing a yum update... still
requires internet access but at least it is not hours of downloading
per system.