FC4 state of affairs and FC5

Willem Riede wrrhdev at riede.org
Wed Sep 7 23:39:40 UTC 2005

On 09/07/2005 04:27:50 PM, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On 9/7/05, Gregory Maxwell <gmaxwell at gmail.com> wrote:
> > There really are two discussions going on here, one is about installer
> > updates and one is about packing updated RPMs. They may have differing
> > solutions, for example, it would be possible to provide the complete
> > installer as an image for a USB memory stick, this would allow someone
> > who hit an installer bug to get a fixed installer. Many systems can
> > boot off of USB memory sticks... at least that would help some people.
>
> There have already been examples of installer images..without the
> package payload..being created in response to specific bugreports
> about specific broken hardware created by developers as part of
> bugzilla activity for fedora releases. for example:
> http://www.fedorafaq.org/fc2/#installreboot
>
> Now that there is a process for producing release note errata these
> specific boot image fixes like the c3boot-2.iso could be publicized
> more.

Is the procedure to re-create boot.iso with simply the latest kernel from
updates published anywhere? (I can't find it)

In my case, the original FC4 kernel in CD images doesn't support the hardware
of my newest box, FC5-devel doesn't install (anaconda under construction) but
it does boot, so I suspect FC4 update kernels would too...

Thanks, Willem Riede.