Suitability for trying to get a floppy based install instructions into fc5 release notes?

Jeremy Utley lfsjeremy at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 16:50:55 UTC 2005

On 9/2/05, Thorsten Leemhuis <fedora at leemhuis.info> wrote:

> - on a random linux-system create a grub boot-floppy with
> cat /usr/share/grub/i386-redhat/stage? > /dev/fd0
> (can this be done in windows/dos somehow?)

I have saved on my webserver a "dd" image of what I call my "Grub Emergency
Boot" floppy - works well when I must reinstall my Windows partition and it
toasts Grub out of my boot record - I can use it to boot into Linux and
eventually re-write Grub to the MBR. This image is suitable for use with
RAWRITE/RAWRITEWIN, which can be found from most Linux distribution sites.

http://www.jutley.org/bootdisks/grubboot.img

Also included is sbootmgr.dsk, which is a DD image of a Smart Boot Manager
floppy, allowing a system to be booted from CD even when it's old enough
that the BIOS doesn't support it.

Jeremy