rawhide report: 20050913 changes

Rodd Clarkson rodd at clarkson.id.au
Wed Sep 14 04:37:53 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-09-13 at 21:09 -0400, Christopher Aillon wrote:

> >>Some of the wireless stuff seems to have changed in entirely non-obvious
> >>ways.  Rebuilding NM works around it, but yeah, probably then breaks for
> >>older kernels with older versions of the wireless extensions.  :/
> >>
> >>That's why I say it's only a workaround ;-)
> >
> >I'm happy to do a rebuild of NM, but when you say older kernels, how
> >older are you talking.
> >
> 1547 was the first kernel that required a new wireless-tools.  You need
> to rebuild if you've got an earlier one.

rebuild what?  NetworkManager or the kernel?

I downloaded the lastest SRPM of NM and rebuilt it, and NM runs (it ran
after downgrading libselinux) but in both cases (before and after the
rebuild) I can see the two wireless networks that are normal for my
area, but I can't connect to either and neither shows the network essid.

Also, if I click on either of them (they are both locked using WEP128)
it prompts for the passphrase, but the name of the network isn't shown
in the dialog either (all you see is a '').

I can send you a screenshot of this dialog if you like, but I can't
screenshot the nm-applet popup showing the lack of names in the
interface (I can't figure out how).

Rodd
 It's much better on my side"