REQUEST: OpenLDAP 2.3.7

Arjan van de Ven arjanv at redhat.com
Sun Sep 18 01:32:47 UTC 2005

On Sun, Sep 18, 2005 at 02:54:20AM +0200, Bernardo Innocenti wrote:
> Altough I generally dislike threaded programs and expecially
> those who spin on locks instead of designing a proper arbitration
> scheme for shared resources, I consider the new kernel behavior
> unfair and bogus.

is it? "sched_yield" means "give up the cpu to lower priority processes",
because, frankly, if there were higher priority ones.. they'd already be
running. So what else does it mean?

> It lets low-priority processes steal most CPU time away from
> high-priority ones.  From a system-administrator point of view,
> it makes nice less functional because it doesn't do what you
> would expect for processes using specific system calls.

sched_yield... gives up the cpu. it lets other processes go.
What maybe would be useful is a yield_to() which takes a pid. However that
currently doesn't exist.