Extras bugzilla?

Rodd Clarkson rodd at clarkson.id.au
Mon Sep 19 10:13:57 UTC 2005

> Hi
>

> >This might need to be considered when Fedora Core / Fedora Extras
> >becomes more spread across package types, to make filing bugs against
> >the various 'groups' easier.  For example, if Gnome and KDE are split of
> >into Fedora Gnome and Fedora KDE (as possible names for the groups) then
> >you shouldn't have to know where they came from to file bug reports (as
> >this would get very confusing).  However, this is just food for thought.
> >

> Fedora Bugzilla only lists source components. I am not sure giving
> special treatment to GNOME or KDE helps but if you feel there are
> improvements to be made you can probably do the following
>
> * File bugs and enhancement  (along with rationale) reports against
> bugzilla itself.
> * Help improve the guide . http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/ReportingBugs

Ah, I haven't made myself clear.

There seems to be intentions to reduce the size of Fedora Core further.
To do this many packages are going to have to be removed, and they will
be placed into separate groups.  The current work on anaconda (that's
frustrating many) is working toward making it easier to install from
non-FC sources like extras to aid in this move.

>From conversations on the list (which are NOT gospel by any means) the
thinking seems to be that Fedora would be served up as groups of
components.  For example, it may be that people wanting to run a desktop
would grab the core, x, gnome and games components and then install them
(most likely over the internet to simplify things even further).

However, if this is to happen then if someone needs to file a bug, they
will need a single place that lists all of the packages across fedora
(including core, gnome, x, etc).  The bug poster shouldn't need to know
what group package x comes from to file a bug, but rather should just
find package x in the list and it would be placed in the appropriate
bugzilla area.

I'm just being a little future looking. Am I making more sense?

Rodd
 It's much better on my side"