Rawhide anaconda SELinux problem

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Mon Sep 19 14:54:34 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-09-18 at 17:35 +0100, Keith Sharp wrote:
> I am trying to install Rawhide into VMWare 5.0 from my local mirror
> using either NFS or HTTP.  When the install attempts to start anaconda
> it exits immediately:
>
> Running anaconda, the Fedora Core system installer - please wait...
> install exited abnormally

The segfault is unrelated to the SELinux message.

> and then shuts everything down for a reboot.
>
> The only information I can see on any of the virtual consoles is an avc
> message (hand copied so please excuse any errors) on VC 4:
>
> <5>audit(1127063851.592:2) avc: denied { associate } for pid=512
> comm="anaconda" name="rpm" scontext=system_u:object_r:root_t:s0
> tcontext=system_u:object_r:root_t:s0 tclass=filesystem
>
> Is this a known issue?  I looked in bugzilla, but I couldn't see
> anything that looked relevant.

anaconda runs in a very odd environment, so there are parts of the
SELinux policy that just don't apply.  This is why we run in
non-enforcing mode.  Unfortunately, a custom policy doesn't really work
as we need to be running basically the same one as for the installed
system so that things will get set up properly for after the install

Jeremy