Installing from ub

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Tue Sep 20 20:22:59 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-09-20 at 13:15 -0700, Pete Zaitcev wrote:
> I would really appreciate if someone added a capability to Anaconda to
> install from /dev/uba1 and similar. This way, we do not need to reload
> usb-storage, which contributes to various problems.

Frighteningly, Peter and I were talking about this on the way into the
office this morning and I was planning on ambushing davej to see what he
thought ;-)  There would definitely be advantages and I'm all for seeing
how it goes.

> I did not request to turn ub on in kernel yet, because it interferes
> with usb-storage and this makes some users unhappy. But I am working
> on solutions to that, and the results are encouraging. I may need
> Anaconda support in FC5 on a very short notice if we wait until that
> is complete.

Hmmm, I'll need it on in the kernel to really be able to make much
progress in any form of reasonable fashion.  We could do it with a side
kernel, though, I guess.  I'd rather just turn it on and work through
the problems though (then we can just test normally with the rawhide
trees).

> Do you want me to file an RFE in Bugzilla?

Yeah, that would be good so that it doesn't get lost.  And go ahead and
stick it at least on the FC5Target blocker (or FC5Blocker is fine by me,
too).

Jeremy