php 5 Selection Question Verses php 4

Mike A. Harris mharris at redhat.com
Wed Sep 28 04:40:19 UTC 2005

Greg Morgan wrote:

> Would anyone be able to give me the background on the selection of php5
> as the php language on FC 4?  What I am finding is that there are still
> many php applications that do not work well on php5 yet.  ISPs that
> upgrade their web systems find that all their customer's sites go down.
>  By time the ISP has moved the application language back to php4, the
> customer's databases are hosed.  Would there be a chance that FC 5 could
> have php 4 packages as an option?  Could a set of php 4 packages be
> created for the current FC 4 release?

Fedora Core is a platform designed for rapid technology advancement.

It sounds like these ISPs want compatibility and features provided
over longer periods of time, such as what we provide in Red Hat
Enterprise Linux.

Another option would be for them (or someone) to maintain custom
php4 packages in a 3rd party repository somewhere for Fedora.

Hope this helps.