The Strengths and Weakness of Fedora/RHEL OS management

Shane Stixrud shane at geeklords.org
Sun Apr 2 03:29:24 UTC 2006

On Sat, 1 Apr 2006, Callum Lerwick wrote:

> On Tue, 2006-03-28 at 14:43 -0800, Shane Stixrud wrote:
>> Please don't imply I give one wit if elektra is the correct solution or
>> not, because I don't.  My only interest is in discovering why this problem
>> hasn't already been solved and if anyone has a clue as to what the correct
>> solution would look like.
>
> I'm still not convinced that there's a problem in need of solving here.

What would it take to convince you?

The limitations around automating/scripting system changes without
replacing whole config files is one problem.  How about the  differing
syntax between most applications without a technical need, some of which
have horrid syntax.  The impracticality of programs sharing configuration
elements with each other without each application being aware of every
other applications magic syntax. The impossibility of having an automated
system for saving and reverting changes without saving whole config files
after every change and then figuring out what changed and why.  Or how
about the fact developing configuration guis/tools is many orders of
magnitude more difficult when their is no consistent config file standard?

Shane.