The Strengths and Weakness of Fedora/RHEL OS management

Avi Alkalay avi at unix.sh
Sun Apr 2 13:41:14 UTC 2006

On 4/2/06, Callum Lerwick <seg at haxxed.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-04-02 at 01:37 -0800, Shane Stixrud wrote:
> > Interesting.  Tell me what is the best way to enable XDMCP in gdm via a
> > configuration script?  I'll give ya a hint Enable=false is often defined
> > in multiple places within gdm.conf and the line numbers for these
> > statements have and will change.
>
> For FC5 gdm, plop down a gdm.conf-custom with whatever settings you need
> in it. Bam, you're done.
>
> Yes, previous versions of gdm were brain damaged in this regard. Its
> better now.

Really!? Oh thank you! I didn't know it was so simple!
Ok, lets shutdown this whole Elektra Iniative after you give us same
simple solution for Shane's simple requirement for script-handling
these configurations:

/etc/named.conf,
/etc/dhcpd.conf,
/etc/X11/xorg.conf,
/etc/wvdial.conf,
/etc/wgetrc,
/etc/hosts.[conf|allow|deny],
/etc/nsswitch.conf,
/etc/ldap.conf,
/etc/lisarc,
/etc/samba/*.conf
/etc/ntp.conf
/etc/xinetd.conf
/etc/xinetd.d/*
/etc/modprobe.conf
/etc/prelink.conf
/etc/resolv.conf
/etc/sysconfig/*
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-*
/etc/issue*
/etc/yum.conf
/etc/pam.d/*
/etc/openldap/ldap.conf
/etc/enscript.cfg
/etc/fstab
/etc/filesystems
/etc/{any new thing that may appear}

Remember: your solution must be homogeneous, like, people are not
interested in hundred different solution for each of these hundreds
files.
Oh, and please provide a solutions that is distribution agnostic
(remember that these files can be located in other places in other
distros).

I'm desperately just waiting for your e-mail.

Thank you,
Avi