Why Elektra is the wrong approach (Was Re: The Strengths and Weakness of Fedora/RHEL OS management)

Shane Stixrud shane at geeklords.org
Mon Apr 3 16:15:33 UTC 2006

On Mon, 3 Apr 2006, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

> You can't have several entities sharing the same object (here entities are
> xorg and your mythical keyboard manufacturer). It *always* ends bad

.... and why is that?  If an application is designed to allow an end user
to update something then why not a vendor on the users behalf??

Microsoft got MANY things wrong, but I dare say keyboard vendors and their
users have little to worry about on this front. Please give TECHNICAL reasons
why this functionality is a bad idea, so far you have relied on
subjective conjecture centered around how you THINK others will behave.
It is not your or my place to limit functionality based on our opinions
on if it will be used poorly or not.  The fact is all of this cane be
done today it is just very hard to do, this argument that making it
easier for the user, programmer and vendor will some how create a social
disaster rings hollow to me.

Cheers,
Shane