gnome/gtk v1 in rawhide

Andy Burns fedora at adslpipe.co.uk
Tue Apr 4 21:35:39 UTC 2006

Ralf Ertzinger wrote:

> Although gtk1 programs tend to use quite less screen space than their
> gtk2 counterparts.

I think that is a valid point, GTK2 apps do have a "Lego Duplo" quality
in comparison to other windowing toolkits, even after reducing font
sizes from the defaults and fiddling with the theme details shipped with
Fedora a 1280x1024 monitor running Gnome feels comparable to an 800x600
monitor running Win2K :-(

I can just about get used to panels top *and* bottom of the screen
eating into my area (I realise I could change the arrangement) and I
need to keep reminding myself to actually make use of multiple workspaces.

I'd prefer windows to have thinner borders and splitters, a touch less
white space bordering everything, and denser packing of controls, or are
there any "skinnier" themes that I ought to look at instead?