Move Evolution to Extras?

Bojan Smojver bojan at rexursive.com
Wed Apr 5 02:21:23 UTC 2006

> Evolution is fairly much broken in FC5, and there's little movement even
> on the 'this mail crashes Evolution' bugs, let alone the "Evolution is
> totally unusable with IMAP" bugs.

I can't say I'm some kind of expert e-mail user, but Evo 2.6 seems to
be working mostly OK here. I use it against dovecot-1.0/IMAP at home
(two client machines) and with Exchange/Exchange at work. Since I also
run LDAP addressbook at home, I find it rather useful to be able to
edit entries directly from Evo. Having native access to GAL at work is
also very useful.

I would most definitely be in favour of fixing bugs and spliting out
packages that provide functionality for other software and getting rid
of bogus dependencies. However, I'm not sure if removing this package
from core is a good idea. Is there a decent replacement under Fedora
default desktop (Gnome) that covers all ground that Evo covers now?

--
Bojan