Why Elektra is the wrong approach (Was Re: The Strengths and Weakness of Fedora/RHEL OS management)

Davide Bolcioni db-fedora at 3di.it
Wed Apr 5 08:18:35 UTC 2006

David Zeuthen wrote:

> Replacing all the old cruft with new stuff is bound to introduce a few
> more bugs along the way. I think it's called... progress?

On legacy operating systems, it turned out to be actually a dead end.

>>But you can damn Pete for writing what a lot of people were thinking if
>>you like.
>

> That's nice.
>
> At least I learned something today: Never ever propose anything that
> might be a bit visionary on fedora-devel-list; you will just get shot
> down by the vocal minority and you will get flamed you for the
> improvements for the silent majority you helped create.

As a sysadmin I might be a part of the vocal minority, and I actually agree
that many of the problems you want to address are there and need to be
addressed - it's just that, and I believe many of the others are
actually trying to say just this, the proposed vision carries along a
price we're not willing to pay.

Just my $0.02,
Davide Bolcioni
--