Red Hat's "Cowardice" against Software Patents

Casimiro de Almeida Barreto casimiro.barreto at gmail.com
Wed Apr 5 18:21:25 UTC 2006

Man...

That conversation is just getting insane... What is legal in one country
may be illegal in other countries and so on and so forth and we just
come back to the 1960's (yeah, most of you had not been born). For those
of you (including lawyers) who thinks that the Vietnam War was that war
won by Rambo (aka Silvester Stallone) killing dozens (thousands) of "bad
communist oriental people", I had some bad news: this discussion about
"open software" dates from that time. In 46 years of discussion, we see
again and again the same arguments. But the fact that remains is that
nobody in the bloody hell of planet earth can make a patent out of an
unrealized idea... I patent devices. I patent a device that decodes some
code. I can't patent the code itself. I can't patent an idea... The code
may, as far as I know, be "copyrighted" to the author who wrote it and
he can sell it tho others. Like a book.

If writers behave the same way, nothing would have been written since
... well ... perhaps the greeks some 400 years BC. It is obvious that
every new code will have something "borrowed" from previous code. That
is called evolution.

I heard the same kind of discussion when network was at its beginings...
Most of you were in the kindergarden. Oh... yeah... OSI will triumph
against Ethernet because it is a set of completely free and openly
defined protocols. Ethernet is closed, proprietary and evil defined.
Hey... just take a look on SNMP and its evil peculiarities... while CMIS
and CMIP is free... OSI handles much better industrial environments with
lots of non-stochastic networks (field-bus/token-rings), the FTAM for
interconection in industrial environments... Little of that survives
today... What we see is Ethernet V4, SNMP V4/V6 and so on ans so forth...

I heard the same kind of discussion when PCs started to be manufactured
around the world... About patents held by IBM. Any of you believe that
RPOC payed any royalty to IBM? I do much doubt... not to mention lots of
latin american countries...

I heard people saying (perhaps you were at high school) that *NUX would
never go ahead because it was owned by Digital, that became Compaq, that
became HP. And yes, there are people still issuing M$ and other vendors
(Sun, Apple, etc) because the "original idea of Windows" belonged to
Xerox Vista.

To be issued, you just must be alive and someone else think you looked
at him in strange way...

Anyways, if this discussion about legal/illegal does not move to a forum
focused in laws and litigation, I do think that it will be a dead end
for all of us...

Regards,

Casimiro

PS: sorry to be writting again, but it just ... off when you have to
delete dozens of crazy messages.