"expected gains in market share"

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Wed Apr 5 23:32:40 UTC 2006

Cam <camilo at mesias.co.uk>:
> Do you really think that a substantial population of adopters are ready
> and waiting but held back because mp3 isn't in Fedora?

I think there is a very large population of potential users who would
consider lack of MP3 and other multimedia playback a showstopper --
that it's one of the checklist features nontechnical users look for in
2006.

> I think there are better goals that would increase adoption:

I have no argument with any of those goals.  Whether they're "better"
in terms of being more effective at raising market share, I dunno.
Wider availability of preinstalls sounds nice, but I don't notice
emachines or WalMart penguin boxes taking over the world.