Installation Wizard in Yumex

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Mon Apr 10 13:40:23 UTC 2006

On 4/10/06, Tim Lauridsen <tla-ml at rasmil.dk> wrote:
> I want to make some kind of XML format to creating the Wizard entries
> and the actions behind. The different people can make there own wizards
> and people can just drag and drop an URL to a  wizard XML into yumex to
> add the wizard entries to the installation wizard. This could be a way
> to close the gap between a FOSS distribution and the non free or patent
> related stuff, there never can be included in Fedora.
> Let me now what you think, is it a totally lame idea or is it a way to go.

So if you don't include the wizard in yumex in Fedora Extras because
of legal constraints... how exactly do people find the wizards?
Google searches?  I think you are overthinking the problem and coming
up with pretty much the most complicated solution that you can think
of.  You don't need an extra layer of code... for some weird ass xml
object that describes how to get an rpm....all you need is drag and
drop support of rpm urls directly.  You still have to rely on people
finding something on the web so the xml installer plugin concept isn't
solving the underlying problem. If people can google search to find
these new xml object urls.. they can most certaintly google search and
find the rpm urls.

-jef