Missing system config tools?

Lamont R. Peterson lamont at gurulabs.com
Fri Apr 14 21:30:46 UTC 2006

On Friday 14 April 2006 02:40pm, Callum Lerwick wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-04-14 at 20:27 +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> > For those interested the procedure was to install / on an lvm, then try
> > to move the lvm to a pvm (on another raid volume in my case, don't know
> > if it's important)
>
> Errr. Do you mean moving an LV to another PV? As in using pvmove? I had
> rather serious system eating (but ultimately recoverable) problems with
> pvmove when I moved my system to LVM using an FC5 rescue disk. It may
> not just be system-config-lvm. For no reason I could figure out, about
> half the time pvmove would crash and totally eat the PV metadata.

Since you were in a rescue environment, did you activate the Volume Group
(VG)?

pvmove has always worked perfectly for me on a *running* system.  It is
designed to migrate your data to free PEs not on the PV that you specify, and
to do so while everything is online, mounted and in use.

[snip]
--
Lamont R. Peterson <lamont at gurulabs.com>
Senior Instructor