FC5 (lack of) quality

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Sat Apr 15 07:39:38 UTC 2006

On Fri, 14 Apr 2006, Marius Andreiana wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I've installed FC5 in the same week it was released (as usual), after
> using FC5test on one of my systems. After almost a month I'd like to
> share my impressions, not as a rant, but as sign of warning regarding
> release quality.
>
> There are a lot of regressions from FC4. First, the replicable ones:
> * on a 256mb RAM system GNOME it's hardly usable due to swapping with
> more than 2 applications opened (firefox and another small one, no ooo).
> Only minimal services (network, xfs..) are started automatically.

Mm.. GNOME in FC5 was supposed to use *less* memory than in previous
versions. Have you looked at where exactly does the memory go to - is it
really GNOME or something else, like Firefox? (I have a feeling that FF
1.5 is somewhat slower than 1.0.x but that's merely a gut feeling, not
measured)

I've been planning to update my old T21 with 256M memory to FC5 in hopes
of making it work faster, not slower :-/

 	- Panu -