Init scritps timeout

Ola Thoresen redhat at olen.net
Tue Apr 18 09:18:54 UTC 2006

2006-04-18 Federico <simon3z at yahoo.com> wrote

> --- Dimi Paun <dimi at lattica.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 2006-04-16 at 23:22 -0400, Harry Hoffman wrote:
>> > Why should httpd depend on networking? what is the network comes up
>> > later... do you not want httpd to already be running?
>>
>> You're reading to much in the exact example there :) Just use A and B.
>>
>> But I admit, I was a bit off-topic regarding the timeout problem.
>> I was commenting on the need to have greater control of these inter
>> service dependencies.
>>
>> As for the timeout, that would have to be handled by the services
>> manager that starts the services up. Ctrl-C is fine if you're in front
>> of the console, but the reboot may be unattended, we need to have a
>> system that is able to handle things by itself as well.
>>

> This is exactly what i was meaning. If an init script is taking too long (10
> minutes?) it must be killed.
> Think if you have a remote server and the boot is stopped cos the ldap init
> script is blocked. You would need to get on the site to fix it or find someone
> expert enough to do it for you.

This has bit me _many_ times (but it has been the shutdown process, not
the boot process that hangs).
Normally from a dead NFS-server, causing some other process to wait for
some I/O, which again blocks the shutdown.
It is still part of "init", but just thought I'd mention it so the same
timeouts are considered for shutdowns as well.

Rgds.

Ola Thoresen