Puppet Re: Kickstart and roles

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Wed Apr 19 16:16:16 UTC 2006

If I understood what Luke was working on with puppet, the program is
meant to be a re-engineering of cfengine to be less of an academic
testbed and more of stable product. [I might be part of the reason for
the fact it is in Ruby.. I suggested it a long time ago when Luke was
giving a training course.]

What I was wanting from a product was something that could be added
into a network management system: what is on the computer, what is
connected to the computer (and when), what is the configuration of the
computers services (stuff lower than RPMs so that all 2000 desktops
have a useless banner, point to the correct email servers, and have
the desktop menus with the correct applications set up.), and who is
on the computer and when. Where the computer is would be even better
:).

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
CSIRT/Linux System Administrator