yum bails on update dependency problems...

Tom Brinkman tbrinkman at sbcglobal.net
Thu Apr 20 13:15:16 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 19 April 2006 15:45, Thomas M Steenholdt wrote:
> Tom Brinkman wrote:
> > "Yum halts if there is any dependency problem within the
> > repository to be safe and doesnt perform partial updates. Use
> > this script if you want that. Kindly ensure that you report any
> > dependency issues to the appropriate repository bug tracker or
> > post to the relevant project list if it requires more
> > discussions."
> >
> > #!/bin/sh
> > for i in `yum list updates |cut -f 1 -d " " |grep -A 500 -e
> > Updated |\ grep -v -e Updated` ; do
> >        echo "Updating $i"
> >        yum -y update $i
> > done
>
> This is acceptable for rawhide machines, where its generally more
> accepteble to have slightly hack-ish things implemented... This is
> hack-ish and is not the way to do this kind of thing properly.
> (1) you loose updating of packages with long names(unless by
> coincidence that package is pulled in as dependency for package
> with shorter name) (2) yum will be run multiple times, whereof a
> large number is likely to do absolutely nothing, so wasting
> resources for no good reason.
>
> If we want this kind of thing, we need to implement it properly.
>
> /Thomas

    I suppose I agree with you. I really can't say. I'm new to FC
havin come from Mandriva cooker.  But I've not had problems
with 'long names. The script is slower, an acts a lot like
Mdv's 'urpmi --auto-select --keep' usin wget. It is offered on the
Fedora Project wiki tho,  http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Tools/yum

    It seems to be my only work around for the mirror situation which
began a few weeks ago, an was blamed on apache config changes after
several people on this, or the -test list, complained that suddenly
yum was quittin on "no more mirrors to try". A fix (revert to old
behavior) was promised, but doesn't appear to ever have been made.
--
	Tom Brinkman		      Corpus Christi, Texas