Fedora Bounties (seeking ideas)

Patrick W. Barnes nman64 at n-man.com
Fri Apr 21 02:55:37 UTC 2006

On Thursday 20 April 2006 21:32, "Arthur Pemberton" <pemboa at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/20/06, Patrick W. Barnes <nman64 at n-man.com> wrote:
> > On Thursday 20 April 2006 20:29, "Arthur Pemberton" <pemboa at gmail.com>
wrote:

> > > Unfortuantely, not many people use KDE on Fedora apperently.
> >
> > Actually, a lot of people do, including myself.  The majority use GNOME
> > either by preference or because it is the default.
> >
> > --
>
> Well I can take your word on that. However, it is handly encouraging
> when one selects all KDE apps in Anaconda-Pirut and then I boot and
> find gdm. And the only way to fix tha tis to manually uninstall gdm or
> edit /etc/X11/predm

You can set the preferred display manager globally in a much cleaner manner:

su -c echo 'DISPLAYMANAGER="KDE"' >> /etc/sysconfig/desktop

It might not be unreasonable to seek an option in firstboot to select the
display manager at install time when multiple desktop environments are
installed.  (I suspect that's too small of a project for the SoC,
though.  ;-) )

--
Patrick "The N-Man" Barnes
nman64 at n-man.com