Fedora Bounties (seeking ideas)

Nils Philippsen nphilipp at redhat.com
Fri Apr 21 12:45:41 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-04-21 at 10:06 +0200, Nils Philippsen wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-04-20 at 16:41 +0100, Andre Nogueira wrote:
>
> > 2) When Anaconda is installing a package, it is not downloading the
> > next package. Why not continue downloading packages while installing
> > downloaded packages?
>
> Before starting an RPM transaction you want to be sure that everything
> is available. Think about a transaction that consists of packages a, b,
> c (each with version-release) which are to be installed in that order.
> You propose s.th. along that:
>
> 1) a gets downloaded
> 2) a gets installed while b gets downloaded
> 3) b gets installed while c gets downloaded
> 4) c gets installed
>
> Unfortunately, somewhere during step 2, the mirror gets updated with a
> new version of c which actually would be required to be installed
> _before_ b. Now you've got a broken transaction --> this is why yum etc.
> download first, then install afterwards.

Hmm, thl just made me aware of that anaconda already first downloads a
package, then installs it. While I won't change anything w.r.t. NFS
installations (I consider them "quasi local"), parallel download and
install might even make sense for FTP and HTTP (as long as the code
doesn't get too ugly ;-).

Nils
     Nils Philippsen    /    Red Hat    /    nphilipp at redhat.com
 Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."  --  B. Franklin, 1759