Fedora Bounties (seeking ideas)

n0dalus n0dalus+redhat at gmail.com
Sat Apr 22 07:28:20 UTC 2006

On 4/21/06, Nils Philippsen <nphilipp at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-04-20 at 16:41 +0100, Andre Nogueira wrote:
>
> > 2) When Anaconda is installing a package, it is not downloading the
> > next package. Why not continue downloading packages while installing
> > downloaded packages?
>
> Before starting an RPM transaction you want to be sure that everything
> is available. Think about a transaction that consists of packages a, b,
> c (each with version-release) which are to be installed in that order.
> You propose s.th. along that:
>
> 1) a gets downloaded
> 2) a gets installed while b gets downloaded
> 3) b gets installed while c gets downloaded
> 4) c gets installed
>
> Unfortunately, somewhere during step 2, the mirror gets updated with a
> new version of c which actually would be required to be installed
> _before_ b. Now you've got a broken transaction --> this is why yum etc.
> download first, then install afterwards.

Since when do packages state what needs to be installed after them? I
was under the impression that packages state instead what needs to be
installed before them. In which case, the scenario you mention
couldn't happen. Package 'b' either needs 'c' installed first or it
doesn't. If it doesn't need 'c' installed first, then it doesn't
matter that the 'c' package ended up being different to what was
expected. In any case, I thought yum simply failed if it couldn't find
the package corresponding to the header data it was using.

n0dalus.