Fedora core suggestions

Kostas Georgiou k.georgiou at imperial.ac.uk
Sat Apr 22 14:46:10 UTC 2006

On Sat, Apr 22, 2006 at 09:30:01AM -0400, Jeff Spaleta wrote:

> On 4/22/06, Kostas Georgiou <k.georgiou at imperial.ac.uk> wrote:
> > qemu can use VMDK images so the tool is already available in extras.
> > Most likely you'll only need minor (if any) configuration changes
> > before you can use the image with vmplayer.
>
> qemu can use them... can qemu create them?   We need an open tool that
> can be included in FC/FE that can create the content not just use it.

qemu-img create -f vmdk fc5.vmdk 5G
You can install fedora with either qemu (or vmplayer) afterwards.
Have a look at http://www.easyvmx.com/ for examples on how to create
a vmplayer config file so you can boot the image.

You can probably copy an existing disk with something like
qemu-img convert -f raw /dev/hda -O vmdk fc5.vmdk
but I never tried it.