FC5 rocks!

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Mon Apr 24 17:31:57 UTC 2006

On 4/24/06, Dimi Paun <dimi at lattica.com> wrote:

> On Mon, April 24, 2006 12:27 pm, Andy Green said:
> > Dimi Paun wrote:
> > I can see why it makes people say "go there yourself and champion
> > your bug" because really RHAT doesn't owe us the work.
>
> Absolutely. I would never expect RHAT to relay my problems from
> one mailing list to another. That would be stupid and counter
> productive.
>
> But this is not at all what I'm asking for. Truth is that by the
> nature of the people Red Hat hired, they have quite a number of
> folks involved in highly visible projects. The oppinions of these
> guys matter in those projects. I would like RHAT to listen to their
> customers (like any decent company), and push for changes that they
> consider worthwhile where they can. And this can be done in a lot
> of places, especially in difficult to talk to projects like GNOME.
>
> This _is_ a development related issue, and I think it is very much
> on topic for this list. We were told Fedora is essential part of RHAT
> model, which was pretty clear from the beginning. That's fine. I have
> used RHAT since 4.0, and I'm glad to see RHAT acknowladge this fact.
> However, this comes with some responsabilities, and one of it is listening
> to customer feedback (within limits, of course). Is RHAT willing to
> do that?

Do you have ideas on how this can be done cleanly? There are tons of
issues and they need to be evaluated in the order of getting them
fixed/changed. I mean I would love spatial sent back to the Windows95
heck it belongs in... but that doesnt mean everyone else does.
Gathering the information, prioritizing it, and then championing it.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
CSIRT/Linux System Administrator