Fedora core suggestions

Gilboa Davara gilboad at gmail.com
Tue Apr 25 14:04:45 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-04-25 at 15:56 +0200, Leszek Matok wrote:
> Dnia 25-04-2006, wto o godzinie 13:23 +0000, Kevin Kofler napisał(a):
> > Maybe that's just me, but even on my single-user system, I want my VFAT
> > partitions mounted at predictable, easy-to-remember locations (/c for C:, /d
> > for D:, /e for E: and /f for F:)
> 1. You can add any partition to fstab in almost any location you want
> (you can't use /dev/null for example, but other than existing files,
> you're really free to do what you want). Anaconda has a GUI for it and
> it worked every time I tried.
> 2. It's hard or impossible to know which partition is Windows D: and
> which is E:, because:
> a) newer Windows versions allow you to change the drives letters on the
> fly, you'd have to mount the boot partition (and know which one is
> that), read some files from it (when the settings are stored),
> understand their format and then remount partitions in appropriate
> locations, that's hard I guess, and
> b) if you have two Windows versions (i.e. 98 and XP), they can see the
> drives with different letters, so which one is more important?
>
> > some arbitrary /media/diskn locations
> > which aren't even consistent from boot to boot.
> This is a real problem, but I remember discussions regarding it, so it
> will get better and better with time.
>
> Lam
> --

Actually is much -much- worse.
Windows 2K and above, keep a UUID to drive letter map in their registry.
It's entirely possible to have two Windows OS on the same disk (hda1,
hda2), each displaying a third partition (hda3) with a different drive
latter.
So, even if you mount each Windows drive, open it's registry and read
the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices\DosDevices[CDE...] keys,
you might have conflicting drive letters.

Gilboa