Xorg signal 11's spontaneously

Dennis Jacobfeuerborn d.jacobfeuerborn at conversis.de
Tue Apr 25 23:22:16 UTC 2006

Adam Jackson wrote:
> Dennis Jacobfeuerborn wrote:
>> Tracked down a testcase using the Xorg changelog but I get a different
>> backtrace when triggering that bug so this seems to be a different
>> problem. Unfortunately I also didn't get a core dump and I'm not sure
>> why. I added the line DAEMON_COREFILE_LIMIT="unlimited" to
>> /etc/sysconfig/init and changed the line in /etc/profile to "ulimit -S
>> -c unlimited > /dev/null 2>&1" but after crashing X I now no longer
>> get a backtrace in the Xorg.log (due to the NoTrapSignal option?) but
>> I also don't see a core dump in the home directories. What else do I
>> have to do to get a core dump I can feed to gdb?
>
> IIRC it's something like 'chmod 4755 `which Xorg`' and possibly also run
> the server as root, the kernel will try really really hard to not dump
> core for suid binaries (rightly so).

I set /proc/sys/fs/suid_dumpable to convince the kernel that I really
really want a dump anyway but it still doesn't work. Anyway I borrowed a
laptop from a friend and have gdb attached to the running Xorg right now
waiting for it to crash (hopefully soon, now there is something I don't say
very often).

Regards,
   Dennis