[NEW IDEA] Automatic removal of dependencies

n0dalus n0dalus+redhat at gmail.com
Thu Apr 27 15:38:25 UTC 2006

On 4/28/06, Jesse Keating <jkeating at j2solutions.net> wrote:

> This seems to be spiraling into major complexity and lots of ways for
> developers to get it wrong.  Boo.  I've never been very thrilled with
> the idea of soft deps, and I really haven't seen it done right.

If the developers can't grasp the concept of a 3 level
requires/suggests/enhances, they can just use the normal one level
'requires' and nobody will get hurt. The implementation of 'soft deps'
as you call them is not really for rpm(8) anyway, it's for package
managers. If you don't like the way it's been done so far, then make
sure whatever package manager you use implements it correctly. If for
you that means simply treating suggestions as requires and ignoring
enhances (as is more or less the current way of setting package
requirements in Fedora), then so be it -- don't complain that the
functionality is there for those who want to use it.

My 2c,
n0dalus.