[NEW IDEA] Automatic removal of dependencies

ded my.accountnow at ntlworld.com
Thu Apr 27 19:31:02 UTC 2006

On Thu, Apr 27, 2006 at 02:45:19AM -0400, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> You keep pimping aptitude like its a solution to the underlying
> problem. It isn't. I'm quite sure that aptitude or something like it
> is very handy for people who know what they are doing.  For novice
> users, I think such a set of tools will in fact cause an unacceptable
> amount problems if the tools make no effort to make additional tests
> such as file access which attempt to account for usage of the packages
> which fall outside the strictly defined package mangement
> relationships.
> Since aptitude's interactivity/review give no
> information as to out of package manager  file access... a novice user
> is given no information which can be used to warn them that the
> packages in the list to be removed are in fact being used by something
> the packager  didn't expect. Aptitude or similar tool requires its
> users to have a keen understanding of how packages are being used on
> their own. And that sort of assumption is absolutely inappropriate for
> a tool which people want to expose as a generally available feature
> exposed to the entire fedora userbase.

I don't know what aptitude you are familiar with, but apparently it
isn't the same one I've used on a daily basis for six years or so.
It's an excellent front end to dpkg, which new users seem
to use as well. It's a shame you're so dismissive of it.

Really, when's the last time you used aptitude?

> I really really hope the Ubuntu people figure out a way to track out
> of package manager context file access which can account for prelink
> activity as the integrate the feature into their desktop oriented
> distro

<sigh> Ubuntu huh? If it is "the Ubuntu peopel" odds are it will be
a DD that Shuttleworth paid for.

BOFH excuse #148:

Insert coin for new game