[NEW IDEA] Automatic removal of dependencies

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Fri Apr 28 15:43:33 UTC 2006

Peter Jones <pjones <at> redhat.com> writes:
> How do you plan on discovering this data?  During installation,
> basically everything is the latter, or equivalent, except for packages
> selected individually in a ks.cfg .

Well, I'd say (for an interactive install) everything with a checkmark next to
it (no matter whether that's because it's part of defaults of a selected group
and hasn't been unchecked or because it has been checked explicitly) is
"explicitly installed". Everything else (which either is not listed as an
explicit option at all or was unchecked, but had to be pulled in anyway as a
dependency) is "automatically installed".

(Of course, that requires cooperation from the installer and from RPM. If the
flags are kept track of only by some higher-level app like aptitude, then
marking everything installed at install time "explicitly installed" is the only
option, and apparently that's what aptitude does.)

        Kevin Kofler