ACPI

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Wed Aug 2 17:47:47 UTC 2006

Lamont R. Peterson wrote:

> However, if I sit here doing nothing (not logged in, even), this thing will
> die in only 25 minutes, max.  If I turn the LCD backlight off entirely, I get
> about 30 minutes.  The battery is old, so I'm sure the sensors aren't
> entirely to blame for this discrepancy.  This is with FC5, but I'm using the
> 2.6.16-1.2080_FC5 kernel because something is wrong with the initrd images
> produced after that preventing them from booting (but that's a different
> conversation).

Next time you're in SuSE it would be interesting to compare the idle
battery drain numbers, but I guess it will be hard to track down from
which direction the problem is coming if they are radically different.
You could progressively disable peripherals in /etc/modprobe.conf I
guess.  It can be something like leaving the 3D unit or Wifi radio
powered up.  The fans.  Or maybe even how ALSA leaves the speakers when
nothing plays.

What kind of 'die' is it?  If it is an orderly kind of shutdown maybe
the problem is even coming from the threshold where it is decided to
shutdown.

I must say this laptop, Samsung Q35, was advertised as having a 7 hour
battery life.  I haven't timed it but it is something along the lines of
a 2h 30m under FC5, with laptop mode but admittedly not at the lowest
brightness.  It would be wonderful if that was due to some kernel
configuration choices that could be undone, but I doubt it :-)  It won't
come back up from Hibernate either.

-Andy